8.17.2006

the Preschool Puzzle...Maria, where art thou?

Ok, I've said this a million times now. My kids are smart.

Really.

I got the boys STAR results back today, and both of them scored 100% in more than one area, different for each boy. I've pointed out that I am a very dedicated parent when it comes to their schooling. Joey went to a local parks and rec preschool in San Mateo, where he painted and sang and learned sign language and played. He spent about 18 months there. Matthew went to the same school, but because we moved he only spent about 6 months in preschool.

Hope hasn't been at all. She would love to have about a million friends. She has our neighbor, who just started kindergarten, a friend of Joey's little sister, who is in second grade, and one of "the darling children", who I don't like, and really don't want her to spend much time with. That makes me feel like I'm failing on the parenting thing because I haven't done much to get her socialized.

She's also a "late baby". Kindergarten cutoff here is December 2nd, and she was born on the 26th. This "should" have been her kindy year, but she's not old enough. She's definitely ready though. I'm not in such a hurry to start her on school, because I want her to enjoy her childhood. However, every. damn. preschool around here is either religion based or prides itself on it's academic features.

I DON'T WANT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S PRE - SCHOOL....NOT "SCHOOL", "PRE-SCHOOL"!!

I did sign her up for the most popular preschool in town. But they messed up. She's placed in a 3 and 4 year olds class, not only 4's. Their Pre-K class only runs 5 days a week. I don't want her bored with kindy before she even gets there! I sat at orientation tonight, and was silently screaming because this program does not match up with my goals at all, and how can I just leave her to learn to be bored and hate school?

I looked, and the closest Montessori is about 20 miles away. I'd kill for a nice Montessori kindy right now....let's hope I can afford it.

No comments: