8.07.2006

Groundhog Day

My kids had their first day of school today. For the second time this year.

They attend Year Round School, and started their new track assingment today. It was Yellow's first day of school, so it's like we are reliving the past month, minus the bad teacher. Fun to see new and old friends, and rather a strange feeling of deja vu.

I followed up with a formal complaint on the teacher that caused the move...here's most of my letter to her:

I wanted to take this opportunity to speak to you on behalf of myself and my son. I have a number of complaints that in all fairness, you should be informed of and allowed to respond to. Whether you choose to do so or not is your own decision. I’ve asked.(several people)..to be present in order to make clear that this is not a personal attack.

Here are my concerns:

*Your abrupt manner with myself and other parents.


I am fully aware that some find it difficult in new situations. Individual personality traits aside, a number of parents commented to me about what they considered rudeness from you on the first day. Parents want to meet and forge a relationship with the person they’ve entrusted their child to for 6+ hours a day. Your unwillingness to even let them visit the classroom set a very negative tone. I barged right in, and while you came across as reserved, I didn’t personally experience their same complaint. However, a negative start has influenced those very same parents, who you will be dealing with all year.


*The absence in the classroom of learning materials.


I visited your classroom on the first day of school, and again the following Monday. There was nothing posted on the walls – I find this absolutely amazing in a 3rd grade classroom. I know that there are budget allotments to be used at a teachers own discretion, and I know that it is agreed in this district and in virtually every existing teaching method that children need visual stimulation. What is the reasoning behind no calendars, alphabets, times tables, no visual learning tools whatsoever?

Textbooks were not checked out of the library in a timely manner. The Houghton-Mifflin texts are familiar to you, and were made available the first week of school. You were the very last to retrieve them. Why did it take so long to get books in the classroom?

Why were the kids given a 1st grade assignment for homework? I understand that the first week of school is a great deal of review, but it wasn’t Language Arts or Math, it was “How to grow a seed”, which I’ve seen used for Science. What made you choose that particular piece and not something more age appropriate?


The request for sharp scissors? You were aware that you would be coming here before the new school year started. All teachers are given a budget. You had ample opportunity to make sure you had basic supplies. I certainly don’t mind providing, yet your request was a first for me. It sent a message that you were unprepared for the school year.



*The lack of lesson plans


Once again, the H-M texts virtually set their own lesson plans. I know you are required to turn in lesson plans on a regular basis. I find it highly unusual that you would not have them done well in advance of class time, and make sure that they are available in case of any emergencies. The fact that there was nothing in place after the first week is greatly upsetting. The mad scramble for substitute teachers left my son and his class making paper airplanes for most of the week. I believe you bear the brunt of responsibility for that. Once again, you showed your lack of readiness for the school year.


*Not reporting your absence promptly.


While emergencies happen, your job has always demanded that the children be given priority. Unless you were physically unable to get to a phone or have someone else do it for you, there is simply no excuse for not reporting in in a timely fashion. You left eighteen 7 and 8 year olds out on the playground, and from my understanding, did it more than once. You shouldn’t be surprised to learn that I don’t trust you to take care of them when you are there, as you clearly don’t make plans when you are not.




As far as I’m concerned, this is a not a “few things here and there”, it is a mountain of evidence that you are not committed to the school year, not committed to teaching, and especially, not committed to the children. It’s likely you never were.

I believe that school is a partnership, and it requires the ongoing commitment of the Administration, Teachers, Students and Parents in order to provide an excellent education. I hold the teaching profession in the highest respect, and personally do all I can to support the entire school. My job is to be the best advocate for my child. Your actions, or lack thereof, have shown me that you are not up to the challenge.

I do not know, or fully understand the nature of your individual circumstances. It’s none of my business, and frankly, I’m not looking for excuses. I want a quality educational experience, and am willing to work hard to make that happen.

I don’t believe it whining until I get what I want, and then abandoning a problem. Your actions affect an entire community, and while I will continue to complain until your actions or circumstances change, it certainly won’t be behind your back. If I can assist you in making those necessary changes, please let me know. It’s the right thing to do for the kids, for our school and for our community.


Yes, I'm a bit of a windbag, especially when I feel strongly about something. I don't quite believe that my words will have any beneficial effect, unless she resigns. It is nice not to have to worry about her, but I feel a bit of guilt for the other children who are left behind. Either their parents didn't know or didn't care about what is happening.

1 comment:

Pez said...

Kudos to you, Jill, for taking care of your children's education needs and addressing what appears to be a big problem.