3.04.2006

Little League Social Club

Yep, I admit it. Most of my friends are my kids friends parents. Only one relationship from "pre-kids" has survived. I've met some pretty amazing people this way - people I'd never have come across otherwise.

It doesn't help that my DH works crazy hours. He's usually gone from 6pm to 3am, then he sleeps until 11am or Noon. Oh, and he always works weekends, and just about every holiday too. It's funny when people ask what we're doing on a three day weekend. They don't understand that holidays are just bonus paychecks for DH, the concept of a holiday weekend just doesn't exist in this household.

It's hard to invite people over too. See, he knows he'll be working 5 out of the next 7 days, he just doesn't know which five days they will be. Last week, he worked Sunday, Monday, thought he had Tuesday off, but got called in at 9pm, had Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off, worked Saturday. Next week? Yeah, he'll work, but it won't be the same days as this week. Doing things as a social unit is very hard. It's a problem, because I actually like to spend time with DH.

Little League starts on Tuesday, with our first team meeting. Luckily, the boys are on the same team again this year. Unluckily, the fantastic coach who has guided us all thru the first two years of teeball and year of farm is not returning this year. We did manage to get at least one family that we played with the last few years on this years team. I'm hoping for some new friends out of all of this too.

No comments: