10.08.2006

Autumn Weekend

The air is cool at night, and the leaves are just beginning to turn. The almond harvest is in, and the dust has settled (a bit).

Our bed has soft cotton sheets year round. We also have a light quilt for a bedcover, but don't use it much in the summer. In the cooler months we add an electric blanket. This has a lot to do with the fact that I am usually freezing in the winter, and my husband works nights, so I need the warmth. I wish he worked days.

After working six days straight, DH was home on Friday night around 10pm. At 11:30, we went to bed. He mentioned that it "might" be time to add the electric blanket, as the night was a bit cool. I insisted that he was wrong, that it wasn't late enough in the year.

Then Hope fell out of bed. I got up and checked her for bumps, and tucked her back in. By the time I got back to our room, I was freezing!!! So, I ripped the quilt off my dozing husband (who found this irritating for some reason), pulled out the electric blanket and spread it over the sheet. I plugged it in, and set my side on preheat. Not 5 minutes later, I was deliciously warm and toasty, and I slept better than I had all week. It occurred to me that I might have been cold!

On Saturday, we went to the pet store, then the Pumpkin Fair. It's a local street fair, and it was a nice afternoon to be out and about. I didn't see anything I "needed", but my kids got tons of candy from the vendors, and we were featured at my friends photography booth. (Shameless Plug: http://www.ourfuturestars.com/index.html)

Sunday, I made butternut squash soup. It was good, even if I put too much cinnamon in it. Ihttp://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-Butternut-Squash-With-Cinnamon-Soup/Detail.aspxttp:// I left out the clove too, since I don't like that either. I served it with tortellini, salad and bread, so the kids could try it, make a face, and eat their tortellini without complaining. We also watched football (49'ers won), NASCAR (Brian Vickers won, but he's a slimeball), and the kids playing in the yard all afternoon, before the weather turns.
The sunlight is so beautiful this time of year. I wanted to have an outdoor fire (in our new outdoor firepit!) and roast marshmallows, but DH had to go back to work tonight.

I've got the electric blanket set to "3".

No comments: