5.11.2009

Crazy, continued....

So...Mother's Day....

I'm actually at a place with my Mom where it doesn't hurt anymore...as a matter of fact, I am a bit proud of how easy it actually is, and how truly lovely it is to not have to take another adult into consideration over every single thing I do. I had no intention of trying to create chaos on Mother's Day. I am not willing to deal with my Mom, and I am more than OK with being in that place. I don't feel guilty or angry or sad...just ready to enjoy my first Mother's Day without having to share it.

Oh, but I did share it. My office's biggest non-profit fundraiser of the year takes place on Mother's Day. We hold a Strawberry Breakfast, with brunch on the President's Lawn of the college. I was asked to help, with comp time coming for hours I spent on Mother's Day. I am not particularly attached to May 10Th, so I agreed to do it. I was lucky enough to bring Joey with me as well.

We had a wonderful time. We woke up early, and snuck off to the donut shop for a treat beforehand. Then we worked together all morning, making cash drops, selling tickets, running to the store for extras...it was pretty tiring, but it was wonderful to be able to wish people a sincere "Happy Mother's Day!". When we finished, we came home and I got to lie on the couch and relax. David BBQ'd a nice dinner, and we just hung out.

Of course, my family is not without drama. I called my favorite Aunt to wish her a HMD, and left a voicemail. My phone rang in the morning, and I was surprised to see my long lost brother on Caller ID. Because I was working, I chose to ignore it. When I called David on my way home, he mentioned that my brother had called, but didn't bother to talk to David, only asked for me.
I thought I had dodged that bullet as I didn't really want a confrontational day, but no such luck.
He called again, in the afternoon, with a cheerful "Happy Mother's Day!" over the phone.

"Why are you calling me on Mother's Day?" I asked.
"Well, I haven't spoken to you in a long time, and it's Mother's Day, and I wanted to wish you a Happy Mother's Day", he said.
"The last time I spoke to you, things didn't go very well" I said.
"Well, the last time I spoke to you, I was upset about a lot of things, and I don't want to talk about that, I just want to wish you a Happy Mother's Day", he said.
"Well, when you do actually want to talk about "that", you call me back" I said, and hung up the phone.

Damn!!! You behave like an ASS the last time we spoke, and you call me on MOTHER'S DAY?!?!?!?! Like I'm supposed to take MY DAY to forgive your crappy behavior to me and my husband? Call me back when you are ready to act like a man and apologize! It really pissed me off, because I found myself wondering if I was actually wrong to be mad at him for doing it this way. But once again, I AM NOT THE CRAZY ONE!

Why and how did I allow all these bloodsuckers in to my life and what makes them think it's OK to treat me like this? I am not exactly a doormat in any area of my life...why do they keep trying their crazy out on me?

As I pondered that thought, another good friend who lives too far away called me. She confirmed my non-craziness and just made me feel great about her and the other friends I have that comprise my "chosen family".

Can I exorcise the Crazy from my life? The possibility is tantalizing and scary. I used to think I HAD to deal with my family because otherwise I would be alone...but lately, I'm not lonely at all, and even if I was, it seems the better choice.

No comments: