6.02.2006

Birthday Season is approaching fast....

My BIL hasn't called me back yet. I hate wasting time like this, and I'd love to tell him to go twist in the wind, but I can't. Ah well, patience is a virtue, right?

I'm really good at spending money. I'm also in charge of spending money at my house, other than DH's occasional extravagance. The last time DH spent was um....today. One hundred and fifty bucks at the fish store. I spent $50 at the mall buying shoes for my son....and I feel guilty???? Why????? Some lame bullshit about wanting to fix everything for everyone? We don't have money to support my husbands aquarium habit, yet, here we are, doing just that. Last week it was $800 special lights for the big tank. I'm buying my kid the one pair of shoes he will actually wear all summer, and I should feel guilty because they cost $50? Oh, and I did notice that I didn't even LOOK in the window at the women's shoes. Money wears on me. I worry and worry, and worry some more.

DH actually wanted to plan the boys birthday party with me, and of course, was all excited about the possibility of renting out the laser tag arena for the kids. I'm not in the mood to entertain 30 8 and 9 year olds, when half of them are likely to not show up after they've RSVP'd. I actually costed it out, with the rental and food, and we'd be in at over $600...and that's if we actually stuck to the budget! For one birthday party! I know its for two kids, but sheesh!

That's not what I want my kids to value. I want them to know they are loved, and they already know that. I don't need to spend lots of money, I just need to let them know that the day they were born is a very special day for all of us. So DH and I talked some more, about an "old fashioned" BBQ party with water games and hot dogs. When I asked the kids about it, they were wild with excitement....a party with friends and family...not the coolest technology, but still loads of fun. I may end up renting a waterslide bouncer, just because I'd love to see the look on their faces...

See how I get in to these messes?

No comments: